Monday, June 9, 2008

Gaining Skill with Words

I have to confess that I have a weakness for vintage books. I love the way they look inside, with all of the beautiful illustrations. I love the nice thick paper they used back then. And in the case of schoolbooks like this one, I like all the no-nonsense exercises inside. None of that namby-pamby stuff you see in today's textbooks, that's for sure.

I also think that vintage textbooks are a history lesson for the children of today. When children see illustrations of how children of the past dressed, or (like the illustration shown here) that candy used to cost 59 cents a pound, they subconsciously become aware that the world has changed since then. It gives them perspective.

This book was probably written for about the fourth grade level. The units it covers are Conversation, Speaking Clearly and Correctly in Conversation, Using Words Correctly, Reports, Letters, Storytelling, More Letters, Telephoning, Book Reports, Business Letters, Descriptions and Stories and Poems.

The book is hardbound, 244 pages, printed in 1945 and in very good condition, considering its age. Sorry....this one's sold.

No comments: